• Who are L&Q?

    L&Q is a Housing Association which has been providing affordable homes to Londoners since 1963. L&Q stands for London & Quadrant and is one of the UK's leading housing associations and one of London's largest residential developers. We own or manage over 70,000 homes in London and the South East.We build high quality homes to meet a range of needs and incomes. We also provide other services for our residents, such as managing their homes and investing in local communities.

    L&Q’s core aim is to provide places where people want to live.
    We do this by:
    •    Proving high quality affordable homes for rent 
    •    Building new homes and refurbishing old ones 
    •    Creating affordable homes for sale 
    •    Helping people on lower incomes buy homes through shared ownership 

    Investing in our Neighbourhoods through focussing on projects that increase employability, provide positive futures for young people, promote financial inclusion and strengthen communities.To find out more about L&Q, have a look on our website: www.lqgroup.org.uk

  • What does regeneration mean?

    It means that over a period of 12 to 15 years, phase by phase, the current blocks will be demolished and replaced by new buildings. This will involve a lot of planning, as we want to ensure that South Acton will be an attractive, green and popular neighbourhood. From March 2011 until February 2012 we worked together with South Acton residents on the plans for the look of the future estate. The masterplan, which is the framework showing where the new homes, community facilities as well as green and play areas has been developed in consultation with residents. 

  • What is a Housing Association?

    Housing Associations are not-for-profit organisations that provide affordable homes. They are regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA). As a not-for-profit organisation L&Q re-invests every single penny it earns into delivering new and better homes and housing management services.

  • What is the difference between a Council and a Housing Association tenancy?

    In practice there is very little difference between a Council and a Housing Association tenancy. Council and Housing Association tenants both have security of tenure. This means that tenants who keep to their tenancy agreement and pay their rent will be able to stay in their property for as long as they wish. Council tenancies are usually Secure Tenancies and Housing Associations usually give Assured Tenancies. See how the tenancies compare below.

    Secure Council Tenant


    Assured L&Q tenant

    Accountable through elected councillors and other participation arrangements


    Accountable through a board and other participation arrangements

    Applies to spouse, including civil partner, or close relative who has lived in the property for at least 12 months

    Right of succession

    Applies to spouse, including civil partner, or close relative who has lived in the property for at least 12 months


    Right to buy

    ‘Right to Acquire’, which works in a similar way to Right to Buy

    Yes – with landlords consent

    Right to carry out improvements

    Yes – with landlords consent

    Yes – landlords consent

    Right to compensation for (certain) improvements

    Yes – with landlords consent

    The 1985 Housing Act provides the right to be consulted on major changes to the way your home is managed

    Right to consultation

    Yes – no changes will be made to the way your home is managed without consulting you

    Yes – with landlords consent

    Right to exchange

    Yes – with landlords consent


    Right to manage

    L&Q is required to consult and involve all tenants in the decisions that are likely to affect you and there are many ways you can get involved in the running of the housing association

    Yes – in law

    Right to repair

    Yes – a clause in the tenancy agreement

    Yes – requires landlord consent

    Right to take in lodgers or sub-let

    Yes – with L&Q consent

    Yes – in law

    Security of tenure

    Yes – in law

  • What does ‘decant’ mean?

    All residents who need to move as part of the regeneration programme will be offered the choice of moving to a brand new home being built on the South Acton estate, or an alternative Council property off the estate. This is so that as many residents as possible can stay living in the area as redevelopment will be carried out in phases. In most cases residents will be able to simply move from their old homes, to new ones being built. Your old block will then be demolished and become the next phase of redevelopment — this process is known as ‘decanting’.

  • When will I be affected?

    The masterplan is currently undergoing some changes, meaning that dates that residents move are  being recalculated. The new phasing plan will be released in the summer of 2015. All residents and leaseholders will be provided with an updated plan with the information of when they can expect to move. Details will also feature on this website and within the Acton Gardens newsletter.

    Residents will be contacted approximately 18 months before their homes are required for demolition. Ealing Council in partnership with Acton Gardens will survey residents to gain an understanding of their circumstances and housing needs. Information gathered from these surveys helps the Council allocate the right home with the right number of bedrooms and any special requirements. 

  • Can I stay on South Acton estate?

    Secure Tenant’s will be offered the option to move to a new Acton Gardens property or move to an alternative home through Ealing Council’s LOCATA system.  If residents can’t be offered a flat in South Acton in their respective phase, they can complete a request to return, meaning they can register their interest to return to the estate in the future, should a home become available.

  • What will I get out of it?

    Residents will benefit hugely from this regeneration. Most importantly, you will have the chance to move into a new, energy-efficient and reliable home that suits your needs.

    You will live in a developing, secure and attractive neighbourhood with local shops, new community facilities, parks and gardens.

    You will have the chance to get involved in shaping your new neighbourhood throughout the regeneration process and we will take your views and ideas into account.

    Those residents who have lived in their property for at least 12 months, and it is their only and principal home, will be offered £4,900 of Homeloss Compensation and a Disturbance Payment for removal costs, disconnection and reconnection of telephone, wireless, washing machine etc.

  • Can I move away from South Acton estate?

    There will be the option to move off the South Acton estate. In this case you could search and bid for your future home though Locata and either stay an Ealing Council tenant, or become tenant of one of the five other councils and 12 Housing Associations that are taking part in the Locata scheme. For further information, check www.locata.org.uk.

  • Can I stay with the council?

    If you prefer to stay a tenant of Ealing Council, then you will search and bid for your future home though Locata. For further information, check www.locata.org.uk.

  • Could this phasing plan change?

    Yes. At present, the regeneration programme is currently under review 

  • Who can I contact with further questions?

    PEP provides a free and independent advice on the regeneration project at South Acton. The contact for the regeneration is Keith Mann who you can contact as follows:
    •    Call freephone advice line on 0800 374864. 
    •    Emailing Keith via the PEP website following links on the home page to South Acton. 

  • When will I be affected?

    The regeneration masterplan involves demolition of all existing Council built homes on the estate and their replacement with brand new homes. Ealing council will contact home owners approximately 18 months ahead of the demolition of each block to discuss the available options to you. 

  • What will happen when it’s my time to move?

    An Ealing Council residents will be contacted approximately 18 months before their homes are required for demolition. Ealing Council in partnership with Acton Gardens will survey residents to gain an understanding of their circumstances and housing needs. Information gathered from these surveys helps the Council allocate the right home with the right number of bedrooms and any special requirements. 

    If you are a leaseholder or freeholder the council will arrange for an independent qualified surveyor to value you property at the current market value. If you would like to choose your own surveyor, you may do so, providing they are registered with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors. 

    Any costs involved in the survey of your home and moving will be reimbursed by the council. All leaseholders/freeholders will also receive a 10% home loss payment, up to the sum of £47,000.

    If you are a resident leaseholders/freeholders, there are a two options available to you: open market purchase and Shared Equity Ownership. 

  • What is happening to Avenue Road Park?

    Avenue Road Park is not being lost to the South Acton Regeneration. Acton Gardens will contribute money to Ealing Council as part of phase 7.1 and Ealing Council will be putting this towards updating the park, to improve the facilities for the Community.

  • What will our future Council Tax Banding be?

    The councils tax of the new homes is not set by Acton Gardens, this is determined by the valuation office agency.

    All domestic properties in Ealing have been valued and placed into one of eight bands A to H according to their open market capital value at 1 April 1991.The valuations were carried out by the Valuation Office Agency, not by the council nor Acton Gardens, and remain fixed until the property is sold.

    If you would like to find out more about Council tax please see the links below:

    Further information can be found through Ealing Councils website: http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200028/council_tax/677/bands

    http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/inits.asp - Search engine to find our exact postcode areas

    The council tax’s banding are shown below for across the borough.


    Ealing Council Banding:

    Valuation band

    Range of (1991) values

    Amount 2015/2016


    Up to £40,000



    £40,000 - £52,000



    £52,000 - £68,000



    £68,000 - £88,000



    £88,000 - £120,000



    £120,000 - £160,000



    £160,000 - £320,000



    More than £320,000



    Examples of existing and new phase banding’s are shown below:

    Phase 1:

    Beeching Court, Bollo Bridge Road             W3 8FJ

    Band B             1 Bedroom

    Band C             2 Bedroom

    Band C             3 Bedroom

    Dawson Court, Palmerston Road     W3 8FN

    Band B             1 Bedroom

    Band C             2 Bedroom

    Band E             4 Bedrooms


    Below are some examples of existing Ealing Council Homes bands to compare:

    Church Road              W3 8PX

    Band’s B, C & D

    Clandon Close                        W3 8RX

    Band’s A & B

    Ragley Close               W3 8QP

    Band’s A, B & C

  • What does a typical Acton Gardens home look like?

    When building the news home Acton Gardens follow the London Housing and Design Guide (LHDG). This is the strategic planning framework for London, it states the  standards for new housing across the capital.

    As well as the LHDG the new homes are designed to  the Lifetime Homes standards. Homes will have private terrace/ garden space and apartments will have generously sized balconies that have been designed to maximise natural lighting.

    When we build the new homes we typically have the following features:

    • Efficient layouts, maximising bedroom and living spaces
    • Rooms that are sensibly designed and easy to furnish
    • Balconies accessed off the living room space
    • Storage and utility areas to free up kitchen and living spaces
    • Ground floor homes typically would have their own front door from street access
    • Common areas would have shared lifts and staircases, however these are not shared between too many homes per block

    Below are some typical layouts of one, two and three bedroom apartments.

    One bedroom apartment:

    Two bedroom Apartment:

    Three bedroom apartment:

    Three bedroom two storey maisonette:

    These designs are currently incorporated into Phase 7.1. Please bear in mind that this may not be the exact layout of your future homes as each phase is designed by different architects and has different building designs.


  • Shared Ownership - How do I sell the Shared Equity Ownership property?

    Should you decide to sell your property, you are required to offer Acton Gardens the opportunity to purchase the property from you at the current market value. Acton Gardens will tell you within 14 days if they are in a position to do this. There is a waiting list of people looking to purchase resale properties and Acton Gardens will do their best to find a buyer from this list. If it is not possible to find a buyer within an agreed period of time (usually two months), you will be able to sell your property on the open market, e.g. through an estate agents.

  • Shared Ownership - What size property can I apply to buy?

    You can apply to purchase a new property with the same number of bedrooms as you currently own. If you are currently over occupying you may be eligible to apply for a smaller flat

  • Shared Ownership - Will I be able to choose my new property?

    If you decide to stay on the new development, you will have the opportunity to choose the property that best suits your needs within the building allocated to the Shared Equity Ownership leaseholders in your phase. As an existing resident leaseholder or freeholder you will be given priority and will have the first choice.

  • Shared Ownership - Can I get my own valuation on the properties that are for sale on the new development?

    Acton Gardens will arrange for the new properties to be valued by an RICS valuation surveyor and the valuation figure is not negotiable.

  • Shared Ownership - When does the Shared Equity Ownership offer expire?

    After the RICs valuations for the new homes will be sent to you, we will ask you to confirm your interest by submitting a reservation form within four weeks. This includes a reservation fee of £1,000 which will be used towards the deposit payable by the tenant upon exchange of contracts.

  • Shared Ownership - I have a mortgage on my current home. Can I transfer the mortgage over to the new property?

    You will need to discuss this with your mortgage provider. Please consider all your options as you must invest the full value of your current property to be eligible for the Shared Equity Ownership offer.

  • Can I pass the Shared Equity Ownership property on?

    Shared Equity Ownership leaseholders can pass on their property on the same terms to their spouse or children if they have lived at the property for more than 12 months prior to the death of the leaseholder. There will be no further succession rights, i.e. only one succession is allowed. If you want to sell the Shared Equity Ownership property you will be required to acquire any remaining unacquired equity at its then current market value simultaneously with your sale.

  • Shared Ownership - Can I invest less than the full amount received from my home?

    No. The Shared Equity Ownership offer is based on the full 100% value of your old home to be invested.

  • Can I sub-let a Shared Equity Ownership property?

    No, the Shared Equity Ownership property cannot be sublet as the properties receive subsidy and are meant to be used as homes and not investments

  • Shared Ownership - Will I have to pay a service charge?

    Yes. A service charge will be payable. It is a contribution towards the costs of the provision of services, maintenance and the managing of the development.

  • Shared Ownership - If I own a 50% Equity Share, do I pay 50% of the service charge?

    No. As the resident, you will receive the benefit of the services provided therefore you will pay all the service charge attributable to your home.

  • Can Ealing Council buy my property back earlier than suggested in the phasing plan?

    Currently, early buybacks are not being considered by Ealing Council. Should this situation change, this will be communicated to all resident leaseholders and freeholders.

  • Am I eligible for right to buy of my home?

    For more frequently asked quesions about the right to buy, please visit: https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/housing-association-tenants/

We use cookies to personalize content and to analyze our traffic. Please decide if you are willing to accept cookies from our website.